Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tom's Hardware Posting Biological Article (Contraception)


For Tom's Hardware Article

I guess this belongs on the tech site, because it concerns ol' Bill Gates, but it's still a little strange to see anyways.

As for the many comments at the bottom of the article denouncing the direction that the this philanthropist is going... I have to disagree with most of them. Seriously, over-population in developing (and perhaps not-so-developing) countries need all the help they can get. It's because of the prohibitive cost of per use contraception that has kept it from being used widely in poorer countries. Even handing out free condoms is not an end-all solution. What those people need is something like a vaccine, a one-shot deal that can protect for months or years. And the article is stating that it's using just ultrasound, which can be so harmless you can use it on the fetuses of unborn babies.

I can see no downside the this type of technology. Sure, it sounds scary when its untested, and the thought of becoming permanently sterile does induce something terrifying. But if its successful, wow, the benefits would be... revolutionary. On a world-wide scale. I mean, I'm a sexually active guy, and although I try to be as careful as I can, there are times when I wish I didn't have to use contraception like a condom, or making sure the girl is using something. Then there's the whole mood/ interruption thing, when you're taking those vital few moments to stop and do the right thing. Which, I guess, is something one should do, regardless of contraception! But all joking aside, it would make so many peoples' lives so much better.... for such a small thing. This really is a great idea.

The only real downside I think would be the many men that would just assume that conception is the entire concern, and would forget about STDs. Even if this were to be a successful scientific break-through, diseases could still be transferred through unprotected sex. Really is a scary world out there, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment